I spent most of the week prepping a new release and hooking up the underneath parts of a very pretty UI Kyle has been working on. Then most of my Friday disappeared thanks to a subtle bug that prevented us from deploying the release on Thursday.
Subtle, seemingly inconsistent bugs are the most difficult and frustrating. The trick is to remain patient and keep trying to find the pattern. Of course, that doesn’t mean I didn’t use some choice profanity on occasion. But in the end, I found and fixed the bug (which, as these things often are, was introduced weeks ago in a completely unrelated feature branch).
On the button-down bird side of things, I managed to get the When Comes app far enough along that I can finally experiment with my initial interaction idea. Despite my confidence at the beginning of the week, I’m not sure it’s going to work. At least, not how I have it implemented at the moment. I have a few other ideas, though. I may take some time this week, step away from this code and experiment with a fresh prototype. I don’t want to become too attached to an approach at this point—better to throw out my code so far than waste time working on something that's just not working.
I’ve also been working quietly on another interesting project. Hopefully, more on that in the coming months as it develops.